Posted by: Anon | 2009-10-01

Tummy Toning - Pls Help!!!

I had my second child about a year ago and after he was born I fortunately had my figure back in two months. But recently my tummy just feels so bloated. I have been exercising and it just doesnt help. Pls help!!!!

Hi anon

Not sure what you've been doing during exercise, so I can only give general advice.

The key is a combination of proper exercise and careful diet. Proper exercise means avoiding the myth that you can spot reduce. That is, there is a perception that you can target specific areas for fat loss by doing very specific exercise. Unfortunately, a million sit-ups a day is not the sole solution. It certainly has a beneficial effect, as I’ll explain, but by itself is not the solution. So rather than becoming pre-occupied on one area, your aim should be to increase metabolic rate – that’s how you burn fat. You do through regular cardiovascular exercise, which includes cycling, aerobics, taebo, spinning, walking or jogging.

You should then combine this with some weight training. Weight training, which includes sit-ups, is helpful because it increases muscle mass (which has the long-term effect of raising metabolic rate) and because it literally helps create more muscle. More muscle means a more toned appearance. Just doing sit-ups is a start, but you can raise the impact by doing a variety of exercises that target different abdominal muscles. I’d suggest speaking to a trainer at the gym to discover these.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. If exercise is perfect, but diet poor, then you undermine your progress. So cover that base, perhaps by seeing a dietician, and cover all three bases. In fact, I'd say this might even be your first port of call, a diet assessment.

Posted by: MaGoDiZ | 2009-10-05

Exercise tummy muscles more often, at least 3 times a week. Start small then increase intensity little by little (say 20 times at first a day then do 23-25 times and keep at it) and do an exercise well, and you are surely to see results.

Reply to MaGoDiZ