Question
Posted by: Kate | 2008/08/13

Tummy problems - Antibiotics ineffective

Dear Cybervet and all other animal lovers,
my friend from South Africa (who believes that only the doctors, dentists, fitness instructors etc from SA really “ know their stuff” ) has advised me to give this forum a try, as I am worried and somewhat desperate. We live in London and we’ re the proud owners of a lovely one year old Spaniel. In the past seven weeks she’ s suffered from bouts of diarrhoea and vomiting and as a result she’ s been to the vet on three occasions. Antibiotics and Pro-Kolin (Protexin probiotic) was prescribed every time, which seemed to improve her condition for a week or so, but then the tummy trouble starts all over again. At the weekend she vomited and the diarrhoea contained fresh blood, this is when we took her to the vet for visit number three.
The vet suspected a food allergy at the onset of the illness and first suggested we feed her a diet of boiled chicken breast and rice. This seemed to make the condition worse, so the vet suggested we try Hill’ s d/d canine, but even after two weeks on Hill’ s there is not much improvement and her appetite is poor.
We’ ve been to two different vets and have spent in excess of £ 300 on vet’ s bills and medication, which would’ ve been worth every penny if it had meant better health for our dog, but sadly there is just not much improvement. She’ s currently on a course of stronger antibiotics and still taking the Pro-Kolin, but she’ s lethargic and seems to get skinnier by the day. I’ m hoping that someone in SA will be able to give us some advice on what else to try.

Regards,

Kate.

Dear Kate

Take a sample of faeces to your vet and ask them to send the sample to Vetlab (UK vet lab) for an examination and culture. They do brilliant work on poo and will the lab to speak to. I never treat diarrhoea with antibiotics unless I have a positive culture of Camphylobacter. (common infection in UK) This infection only responds to one antibiotic that is not used a lot.

You get pro-kolin in a powder protexin, use this for at least 3 months. Do not stop even if the dog is better in a couple of weeks, it can take 6 weeks before the gut flora is healthy again. The antibiotics are killing off the good flora and this is why it get better and then worse again. You get this if you treat diarrhoea with antibiotics.

Tell your vet to wake up and get a diarrhoea treatment protocal from vetlab. Next time he will have a clue what to do and save his clients money as well, worming also important. Vetlab should have a good website.

Please email me back if your dog gets better and tell me if "I know my stuff" I'm a man and my ego needs some attention.

2
Posted by: George | 2008/08/14

Agree totally with Cybervet. Take the Poo. Also let them check for hookworms, coccidia and giardia............... speaking from experience when I go a pup years ago from a top breeder!!! pup had bad tummy, and all 3 were positive....

Reply to George
Posted by: Kate | 2008/08/13

Dear CyberVet,

Thank you very much for your prompt response, it is much appreciated. I will follow your advice and I will return to your forum with an update.
I do trust we' ll have a positive outcome which will in turn bump up your ego!  )

Kind regards,

Kate.

Reply to Kate