Posted by: Confused | 2009-08-13

Tummy flab

I' ve been going to the gym for the past 4 months or so, without any results, yes, disappointing. I have now changed my workout program to the 5km running in 10 weeks featured on this web site. (still in week 1) I have a flabby tummy which I have done all sorts of excersizes for, but it' s still there. How can I get rid of this.

Just keep at it, for now. You've only just started training, and considering that you're in week 1, you just need to give it time.

What you are after here is the most difficult target of all - many people battle with this, long into their programmes. Regardless of the location, the key is a combination of proper exercise and careful diet. Proper exercise means avoiding the myth that you can spot reduce. That is, there is a perception that you can target specific areas for fat loss by doing very specific exercise. Unfortunately, a million sit-ups a day is not the sole solution. It certainly has a beneficial effect, as I’ll explain, but by itself is not the solution. So rather than becoming pre-occupied on one area, your aim should be to increase metabolic rate – that’s how you burn fat. You do through regular cardiovascular exercise, which includes cycling, aerobics, taebo, spinning, walking or jogging.

You should then combine this with some weight training. Weight training, which includes sit-ups, is helpful because it increases muscle mass (which has the long-term effect of raising metabolic rate) and because it literally helps create more muscle. More muscle means a more toned appearance. Just doing sit-ups is a start, but you can raise the impact by doing a variety of exercises that target different abdominal muscles. I’d suggest speaking to a trainer at the gym to discover these.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. If exercise is perfect, but diet poor, then you undermine your progress. So cover that base, perhaps by seeing a dietician, and get cover all three bases.