Posted by: Momof3 | 2012-05-09

Tuberculosis ( TB in Domestic )

Hi Cyberdoc

My Domestic has had TB a year ago and was treated. She started work in Dec 2011 after a years TB treatment. She still coughs quiet a bit &  this past week her cough is worse. I insisted she see the Dr again today to see if the Tb has come back. I have 3 teenagers and I have Diabetics Type 2.

My question is, how long does the bacteria in the saliva live outside the body and If we have all had our TB inoculations when small are we still able to get infected now as Adults.? Should we all go be tested in case her Tb has come back and should we as Adults get Inoculated again as a prevention in later live ?

Thanks for the reply in advance.

TB is very resilient bug. It can live for quite a long time outside the body. Have your domestic and yourselves retested for tuberculosis.

I am however, optimistic that all of you will be fine and that her coughing is due to damage to her lungs after her TB treatment was completed. The attending doctor will not stop her TB treatment, unless they are sure that she is cured.

You can still get TB if you have an inoculation as a child.