Posted by: Ranecia Unthank | 2012-05-25

How long does a person stay infectious?
My husband has an employee who just started treatment. My question is whether my husband can carry the germs home and can one of my daughters (2 and 6 years old) contract it from him? My 2 year old generally has a weaker immune system, she often has colds, flus and chest problems. The 6 year old however never gets sick but spends a lot more time with my husband.

The employee who has tuberculosis can infect other people up to four weeks after he/she started with TB treatment. If you are concerned, your husband can consult a doctor for sputum to determine if he has contracted pulmonary TB. For your husband to infect your kids, he will have to have active tuberculosis and he will present with severe night sweats and a constant cough.