Question
Posted by: megan | 2011-12-06

tube feeding nutrition

Hi, not sure if I have the right forum, but hope you can help me. My mother in law has a PEG tube in her stomach for feeding (she had throat cancer and is cancer-free now but unable to eat solid food). She is very thin. She has a breakfast meal of weetbix, milk and banana, strained homemade soup for lunch and ensure for dinner. She is going to be staying with me for a few weeks. Is it enough nutrition for her to just have ensure 3 or maybe 5 times a day ? Is ensure enough for her ? I think that she doesn''t use it enough because it is costly. Thanks, megan

Dear Megan
I am sorry to hear that you mother-in-law had throat cancer, but am so pleased to hear that she is now cancer-free. If she is very thin, then you could increase her Ensure intake by adding 1-2 feeds a day (continue using the volume of feed that she can tolerate, but increase the number of feeds per day). Other ways of increasing her energy intake to boost her weight, include adding full-cream milk to the strained soup and honey to the milk and banana for breakfast. Ensure is a fully balanced feed that can be used as a total meal replacement if required. The volume your mother-in-law ingests per day will determine if she gains weight or not. Ensure is made by Abbott Pharmaceuticals and you can phone their helpline at: (011) 858-2000 to check what volume of Ensure you mother-in-law needs to ingest on a daily basis to gain some weight.
I hope that she will recover fully.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-12-06

Dear Megan
I hope that she will recover fully.