Question
Posted by: Susan | 2008/08/13

TTC nr 2 with Clomid

Dear Doc

I have a 2 and a half year old son which my husband and I conceived fairly easy and quickly (4 months from stopping Triphasil)

I have stopped Triphasil in June 2007 and my husband and I actively started TTC nr 2 since December 2007. We are now on cycle nr 10. This time around my cycles seems shorter (26 days) and I have a lot of spotting and brown/black blood flow before the red blood flow (sometimes it starts 5 days before the red blood flow, on between 10dpo and 12dpo)

I have been for a progesterone test on 7dpo which came back as 54.4, my husband has been for a semen analysis and my gynae advised there is nothing ' wrong'  with his sperm.

I have been on homeopathic drops for 4 months which fairly hepled setting a cycle but I am still not pregnant.

I have now been put on 25mg of Clomid by my gynae and he did a scan yesterday (about day 12) to see whether there are any follicles. According to him there is one follicle (20mm in size) and he advised that I would ovulate within 48 hours of yesterday. I have been doing the LH tests since yesterday to predict ovulation but according to the strips there is no LH surge.
Does that mean that I am not ovulating?
I do take the test as recommended, always at 3 in the afternoon.

This is a concern for me as for the past 3 months I have not had a positive LH test, even though I do get the egg white cervical mucus and my temperature do rise round about day 14 which indicated that I did ovulate.

Dear Susan

It appears that there is no major problem in your specific case as firstly you have a child without any problem the first time, you seem to be having regular cycles, your husband’s sperms are normal and your progesterone is quite high 7 days post ovulation. The possibility exist that the LH test may not be detecting your ovulation either on time or it could possibly be expired and one cannot always entirely rely on these tests. The better option for you would be for your gynaecologist to assess follicular growth and once the follicle is between 18-22mm of size, he should then give you an injection to ensure that ovulation is then taking place.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo

2
Posted by: Susan | 2008/08/15

Thank you Dee GTC

Well the LH test strip showed positive today and I always ovulate on the same day I get a positive LH test (when I do get a positive one) (temperature rises the next day)

So it is 4 days after my gynae confirmed the follicle of 20mm

Reply to Susan
Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/08/14

Your doc ahould have given you a trigger injection which makes you ovulate exactly 36 hours later - this helps with timing intercourse. I wouldnt worry too much about the LH strips - i find them quite inaccurate esp if you have had too much to drink and the urine is dilute. A better indication of ovulation is the egg white CM, Temp change and prog test which all indicates that you are indeed ovulating.

Reply to Dee GTC