Posted by: Suzette | 2011-03-22

Hi, I''m 34. I was on the Pill for 6 years, and went off 01/012011.My periods were on 06/01  13/02 and 16/03.
I suffer with vaginitus, so penetration is excrutiating!
I also normally don''t have a lot of cervical mucus. I''ve been trying to monitor my ovulation with OPK''s, but haven''t picked up anything. Maybe I''m just missing it?
We are having sex on a regular basis, with my husband depositing his sperm as deep as possible in my vagina.
Question now is : what is our chances?
We are also thinking of doing self-insemination with a syringe - would this be an option. Can''t afford going to a fertility clinic.
Does saliva kill sperm?

Dear Suzette

The first thing is that you need to find out if you are ovulating or not, the fact that you have been having irregular menstrual cycles may indicate that ovulation may not be taking place, so you need to either have a blood test done around day-21 of your cycle or more accurately have ultrasound monitoring of follicular growth. If you have vaginismus but no sperm is entering the vagina then it may be very difficult to conceive that way however although vaginismus is present there is penetration and sperms are entering the vagina then you do have a reasonable chance of falling pregnant. You may not need to do self insemination with a syringe if penetration is taking place and as long as some sperms are entering the vagina it is good enough. I do not think that saliva would kill the sperm.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo