Question
Posted by: Soul | 2011-09-27

TTC but various past complications - advice please

To give you a quick history, I have a 7 and 5 year old, had no complications with my 1st pregnancy, didn’ t even feel like I was pregnant, I had a little bit of bladder infection towards the latter part of my pregnancy, but nothing serious, with my 2nd pregnancy, I had a lot of complications.

With every Gynie appointment I had protein and blood in my urine. My test for Down Syndrome with my 2nd pregnancy was also 1 out of 450, had an amniocentesis and the results were that there was no Down Syndrome, baby was perfectly healthy. Because of all the protein and blood in my urine, my doctor also sent me for test for pregnancy diabetes, test results came back negative. Then one morning I couldn’ t walk and couldn’ t pass any urine, thought I had a bad bladder infection and sent me to hospital for 3 days which ended up being 2 weeks and 2 operations alters. I had a nephrostomy tube in my right kidney pipe, had to walk with same for 3 months as they couldn’ t get the JJ stent in, starting bleeding through my nephrostomy tube around 35 weeks, were hospitalised and my 2nd child was born healthy at 36 weeks. I walked with the nephrostomy tube for another 2 months, whereafter they took same out and could get the JJ stent in, which I walked around with for another 10 days or so. Afterwards they took the JJ stent out and never had any problems with my right kidney/kidney pipe again. They told me my right kidney pipe had a kink with an opening of 2mm and that’ s why my urine couldn’ t drain, but I didn’ t have any problems with my 1st pregnancy and didn’ t have any complications after my 2nd child was born at all. I am perfectly healthy. My neurologist explained that he thought it was merely a urinary tract infection that had not been treated properly. I was advised to wait at least 2 years before ttc again.

My 2nd born was around 3, 3 ½  when we started trying again. I fell pregnant, we couldn’ t quite establish the gestational age of the embryo (went to my gynie around 7/8 weeks) and my gynie wanted to see me again in 2 weeks time. At my 2nd appointment, there was no heartbeat and the baby should have been around 10/11 weeks. I had a D& C.

That was 2 years ago and we are still ttc. I didn’ t have regular periods, had one around every 2nd month or so, took Clomid in February this year only and after that had regular periods between 28 and 32 days apart each month. I had a gynie appointment last year July and he said I looked perfectly healthy and if I fell pregnant 3 times already, he couldn’ t see a problem why I couldn’ t fall pregnant again. Well, it’ s another year later and we are still not pregnant.

I am seeing another Gynie this Thursday, what exactly do I tell him and what do I ask him to look for? I am fine during my period, it is after my period that I have extreme back pain and what feels like pain on my ovaries. Could I have endometriosis or POCS? And if we want my husband tested as well, can the Gynie do that for us or does my husband need to see our local GP?

After everything I went through, is it possible for me to have a normal pregnancy again or should I totally abstain from same?

You just tell the gynae your history. He/she will examine you and decide on further tests. These will include tests for ovulation, checking of your tubes and also endometriosis and the gynae should be able to arrange a sperm test for your husband.
Your kidney problems don't seem to be a reason for you not to have another pregnancy.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-09-29