Question
Posted by: Thandi | 2012-07-16

TTC

Hubby and I have been TTC for a while know without luck and somehow am starting to think that it''s my fault. I''ve been told that geophay can cause fertility problems. With my years of eating soil I''m starting to believe this. Can soil eating block tubes? Please clarify.

Dear Thandi
The geophagia is more related to iron deficiency and uterine deficiency and will not directly cause any tubal pathology or infertility. It would be best to treat the two matters as separate issues and I would recommend you treat your fertility independently. However in extreme cases of geophagia and where there is severe iron or mineral deficiency, this may impact on ovulatory status as well as implantation status and maybe a cause of repeated miscarriages. Thus i would advise you to have investigations done and perhaps simple supplementation maybe of value, con currently with your fertility treatment.
answered by Dr M.I.Cassim

2
Posted by: Fertility Expert | 2012-07-25

Dear Thandi
answered by Dr M.I.Cassim

Reply to Fertility Expert
Posted by: Ms. Lady Luck | 2012-07-19

Hi Tandi,

Noooooo, it is highly unlikely that this could block your tubes.

An infection might block tubes, not eating soil.

Reply to Ms. Lady Luck