Posted by: Nonnie | 2012-02-27

Dear Doc,

How difficult would it be to conceive at the age of 40 with a history of endometriosis which was removed about 6 years ago? I have 2 kids. I have not used any contraceptive for the past 20 years.

Dear Nonnie
Achieving a pregnancy at the age of 40 without any help is usually very difficult as ones natural ability to conceive deteriorates tremendously from 38 years onwards. In fact your natural ability to conceive already starts falling from the age of 35. If however in addition you have a history of endometriosis, we know that endometriosis cause some damage to pelvic structures and that may decrease the chance further to be able to achieve a pregnancy spontaneously. However it is not impossible but often very much more difficult to fall pregnant at the age of 40.
Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo