Question
Posted by: SR | 2011-07-11

TTC

Dear Dr

I am sorry for a long post, but i feel the history is important.
I have PCOS, and after plently of fertility treatment (injections for Stimulation) which didn''t work, i didn''t even get a follicule, the Fertility specialist did ovarian drilling in May 2009, and two month later i fell pregnant without any stimulation. I had my son in April2010 and got an infection, which landed me back in hospitaly a week after his birth. The infection was in the c-section cut. And it eventually healed. Since his birth i have had a n ifection of some sort every month. Either in the eyes or thrush. In Feb this year it was suggested that maybe the pill was causing the on going trush, so i went off. I never go my period again after going off the pill, and i just assumed the PCOS was back, in April i found out i was pregnant, and in May at my first scan they found it was actually a blighted ovum and i had a D& C done. I bleed for 6 weeks afterwards, and then stopped for a week and then started again. We assumed that was my period, but it carried on for 10 days before i called the Dr who said i should go back on the pill in order to stop the bleeding and regulate my period again. He told me to do so for a month and that i could then start trying again. I finished the month last night. But in this month i was also on Antibiotics for tonsilities and then got glandular fever, and i also had thrush and had a cream for that. Would the pill have been effective with the antibiotics? Will the glandular fever effect my chances of falling pregnant given my history?

Dear SR

The treatment protocol that you have followed thus far is absolutely fine and it is very unlikely that the antibiotics would have interfered with your treatment. However the recent infection with glandular fever would be a need for some conservative management and it would be unwise for you to conceive within the next month or two. This is because the immune system is still undergoing significant changes and with a pregnancy at this stage this would pose a significant stress on your already depleted immune system. However once strong antibodies are established (usually after 3 or 4 months from the primary infection) it would be safe to conceive and the glandular fever should not have any negative impact on your fertility. I would in the interim recommend that you assess your immune status and do a full blood count and also have a pelvic ultrasound done to ensure that there are no remaining products of conception i.e. bit and pieces of placental tissue left in your womb or the chances of a molar pregnancy.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011-07-21

Dear SR

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert