Question
Posted by: sighko | 2009/11/19

TRYPTOPHAN

I had a lapse in my meds for about a week while I struggled to see my psych and get a new repeat prescription.
In desperation I run off to the pharmacy and I found Tryptophan. All good and well, but I' ve needed it so bad and I' ve over dosed on it because I just want to feel better.
It works but makes me very tired. dam.
Anyway, does taking too much of the Tryptophan have adverse effects for Bipolar? And what 5-HTP.
I get so deperate to feel better I will try anything and everything and I don' t want to drink so I go for pills and pills and more pills.

Because Tryptophan is not a normally tested and prescribed med, nobody has done the sort of research we'd need to answer such questions properly. Sp I don't know what it does in bpolar disorder, and neither, I suspect, does anyone else.
There are different meds that can discourage your drinking as well as helping depression, but you need to discuss these alternatives with a good psychiatrist.

1