Posted by: Multiple Sclerosis Patient | 2013-01-24

Trying to make sense of a bizarre appointment I had with my neurologist

Dear CyberShrink,

I hope you are well:-)

On 8 January I visited my (rather elderly) neurologist because I believed that I was having a relapse of Multiple Sclerosis. Not once during the entire appointment did he bother to ask me the question that every qualified medical practitioner is expected to ask of a patient when the appointment is NOT a routine one, viz. "  What brings you here today?" 

The appointment went like this:

"  Good Afternoon, Miss M" 

"  Good Afternoon, Dr L" 

"  How are you, Miss M?" 

"  I am okay, Dr L"  .

"  How is your fatigue, Miss M?" 

"  It is still the same as usual, Dr L"  (He is aware that I abuse over-the-counter herbal stimulants for MS related fatigue, as my shrink has filled him in on the details).

Next question: "  Miss M, are you still taking the Symmetrel that I prescribed last year?" 

"  No, Doctor, Like I mentioned at my last appointment with you, Symmetrel doesn''''t work at all for me"  . I have stopped taking it.

Next question:

"  Why are you not taking the Provigil which I gave you the name of at our last appointment (viz. "  Modafinil"  ), so that you could read up about it on Google and decide whether you would like to try it? You know that there are only two other anti-fatigue drugs, viz. Symmetrel and Ritalin, and Ritalin is unsuitable for people with Multiple Sclerosis." 

I said: "  Dr, I have heard that Provigil can cause anxiety as a side effect and that is why I am not prepared to take it. I suffer from a very severe anxiety disorder. I am prepared to live with Fatigue but I am NOT prepared to live with (avoidable) Anxiety"  . Multiple sclerosis is child''''s play in comparison to an anxiety disorder. And besides that, Provigil costs R764.13 per month" 

"  Miss M, you need to understand that, just because Anxiety is listed as a POSSIBLE side effect of Provigil, does NOT mean that you will necessarily experience this particular side effect. There is a good chance that you will NOT experience any of the side effects that are listed on the website. I would recommend that you give it a try, for at least one month.

"  Okay then, Dr, I will try it for ONE month" 

"  I will write out the prescription now"  (That was done in my presence in two ticks).

"  Miss M, are you taking any vitamin- or mineral supplements?" 

"  No Doctor, I get them all in my breakfast cereal" 

"  Miss M, you could have a Vitamin D deficiency, which could have a negative impact on your multiple sclerosis" 

"  No, Dr - That is highly unlikely, as nobody over-eats more than me"  .

Laugh, Laugh - "  Miss M, it has nothing to do with how much you do, or do not, over-eat. We need to run some blood tests at PathCare" 

"  Okay Dr, I will have the blood tests" 

He then handed me the prescription for Provigil (which I felt bull-dozed into accepting) and the form to take to PathCare for the Vitamin D blood tests. Immediately after that, he bade me goodbye and walked me to the door.

His closing words were: "  Take care of yourself in this heat... You know what to do"  .

NOT ONCE during the entire appointment, did he take the trouble to ask me "  What brings you here today?" 

He ASSUMED?????? that I had come to him for a fatigue issue (WHERE on earth did he get that idea from)?

What I really wanted to say to him is that I had a relapse of Multiple Sclerosis while on holiday in Dubai and had needed to take oral cortisone (Prednisone) for 5 days (from 30th December 2012 to 3rd January 2013). I was, and STILL am, deeply concerned about my left leg which is extremely weak and about the fact that I have been walking with a very pronounced limp for several weeks alreay. A Body Corporate lady at the flat where I stay has now forbidden me from using the washline on the roof of my complex (as I have fallen down the steps on a couple of occasions). I am now compelled to use a clothing horse instead.

Since Dr L did not bother to ask me how I was doing and what I had come to see him for, I did not have any opportunity to even mention my problem, let alone discuss it.

I am aware that Discovery Health paid him an amount of R705.20 for a 10-15 minute appointment that was a complete and total waste of time and money.

And the Provigil that he prescribed is completely and totally and utterly useless as an anti-fatigue drug. I am still having to top up very heavily with over-the-counter stimulants at MKem on a daily basis.

I really thought that the question "  What brings you here today"  is a standard BASIC question that ALL doctors are taught to ask their patients, while in medical school.......... (especially when the visit is NOT a routine visit).

I wrote to Discovery Health about the appointment, and they recommended that I write to the Registrar of the HPCSA to report the matter. I am still deciding whether or not to actually do so. I have been with this neurologist for 11 years, but I feel that he is starting to loose his marbles. I cannot understand why he conducted the appointment the way he did. If he assumed that it was just a routine appointment, then why didn''''t he examine me?

Was he so focussed on gaining a kick-back from the Provigil prescription, that he completely forgot to ask me what I had come to see him for?

Should I be visiting him again? Or should I rather visit someone else in future?

I don''''t feel like taking any of my Multiple Sclerosis medications at the moment as I suspect that he is receiving kick-backs from them. They don''''t seem to be helping me at all and some of them can cause (or exacerbate) anxiety as a side effect (e.g. Provigil and Betaferon).

Am I over-reacting by feeling that the treatment I received during this appointment was shoddy and unprofessional?

Should I be reporting the matter to the HPCSA or should I just let it go and visit a different neurologist in future?

Multiple Sclerosis Patient

Answered the other time you posted this question