Question
Posted by: amsie | 2011/05/04

Trying to lose weight whilst preggies

Hi Doc and You Panel

i''m 11weeks now ..when i went to my gynae last Friday i gained 4kgs and he said it''s not right ..any advice on what to eat to avoid further gain or maybe if i gain 1kg per month instead of 4kgs?
i suffer from morning sickness daily though i don''t vormit

Dear Amsie
Congratulations on your pregnancy. It is not a good idea to try and actively lose weight when you are pregnant because most slimming diets could cause deficiencies to baby and you too. Because you are pregnant, please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to assess your present food intake and to assist you with an eating plan that will prevent excessive weight gain during pregnancy, but still provide you and the baby with all the vital nutrients you both need during these important months that lie ahead.
Wishing you all the best with the pregnancy

3
Posted by: Racoon | 2011/05/04

Those 4 kg are not too bad. If you are worried, then joining Weighless is an option as they have and eating plan specifically formulated for the needs of pregnancy. Just MUST gain at least 10 kg during your pregnancy. If you gain too little your baby''s pancreas is damaged and your child will suffer from overweight issues his/her entire life - this is a published medical fact! you should aim to gain between 12 and 16 kg. So relax and just try and eat healthily.

Reply to Racoon
Posted by: b.e. | 2011/05/04

hi amsie.. i also gained weight very early in my pregnancy- about 5kg''s.. my gynae and husband fought with me to change my diet from choccies/chips/cookies/coco pops to healthy eating: salads, veggies, wholewheat breads, meat: grilled, fat off! if i wanted a treat, very little... so i ended up gaining 12kg''s in my whole pregnancy which is great.. i lost it straight after (and more!) and have a beautiful healthy busy little girl who is the best thing ever!!! so it was all worth it!!! oh and i also went to the gym through my whole pregnancy and cycled on the stationary bike keeping my heart rate at 140bpm (beats per minute). that will help keep u and your baby healthy... good luck and congrats xx

Reply to b.e.

Dear Amsie