Posted by: Dee | 2009-10-05

Trying to lose another 5kgs

4 and a half months ago I decided to change my eating habits in order to lose weight. I was weighing 78kgs - I am approx 1.65m tall. I am 34 and a mother for two. I seem to have spent my entire life dieting but thats another story. When I made the decision those months ago I decided not to follow any specific diet but rather try and work out what I need in order to physically make it through the day without 1. fainting 2. getting cravings 3. lose weight rapidly 4. feel good
This is what has finally worked for me:
Breakfast: smooth fat free yoghurt with 2 tablespoons of Ultimate Seed mix (sesame, sunflower, linseed, pumpkin seed)
Mid-morning: apple or banana
Lunch: half tin of chickpease with onions and tomatoes with a dressing of vinegar, dash of olive oil, salt &  pepper
Mid-afternoon: apple or banana
Dinner: fish, chicken, beef with a steamed or boiled veg or salad

I have cut out bread, pasta and cereals completely from my diet. There are slip ups here and there but that happens maybe once a week in a social environment where I will have a few drinks and maybe the snacks that come with it.
I do drink about 3 -4 coffees a day which includes milk and sweetner and I have also now started drinking between 1 and 2 litres of water a day. I dont really have time at the moment for any exercise.
today I am currently weighing around 69kgs. I have been hovering between 70kgs and 68kgs for a month now and its really frustrating me.
Is there any advice you could offer me based on my current diet where I could or should make some changes that might help move things a bit.
I would like to rather be hovering around 63 and 65kgs.
Thanks for your help.

Dear Dee
Firstly congratulations on losing those 9 kg - that is well done! Your present diet is reasonable, except that I would add 2 more servings of fat-free milk or yoghurt to it to ensure that you obtain sufficient calcium and also obtain the weightloss benefit conferred by using more low-fat or fat-free dairy products. To achieve your ideal weight you would need to weigh 60 kg, which is still a lot to lose esp if you are sometimes having drinks and snacks (all high energy) and not doing some type of aerobic exercise such as going for brisk walks of skipping (which one can do at any time and anywhere) for 30 min a day. Also be careful not to overdo your water intake as this can led to electrolyte imbalances which can in turn cause water retention and make you weigh more, even if you are losing fat. Just have 2,5 litres of liquid a day, not more.
I hope this will help you to continue losing.