Posted by: M | 2010-01-29

Trying to fall pregnant &  frustrated

Hi doc
I was pregnant in 2007, but due to horrible circumstances we had to abort at 6mths. Since then i have been trying to fall pregnant. I have been on &  off the pill since then. But nothing is happening. It is quite frustrating. i turn 28 this june, i had 1 hysterscopy with dnc, had polyps removed before falling pregnant &  1 laparscopy after so far. I get bleeding during intercourse. My gynae put me back on the pill to get my periods regular cos he said i could have a hormone imbalance &  i have been off the pill since September last year. This mth i was 11 days late with my period. But now i have my period &  it is very very light... Im on eltroxin the lowest dose for subclinical Hypothyrodism for the last year. When the doc did the laparoscopy in July 2008 he said i had very slight endometriosis. What can i take to boost my chances of falling pregant. Any idea why i still have bleeding during intercourse.

Dear M

As per your statement your doctor has done a laparoscopy and it appears that everything it normal and that is usually a good indication that nothing has been damaged after the abortion. I suggest the next step would be for your husband/partner to assess the state of the sperms at this stage. If however the sperm test is normal then I would suggest you see your gynaecologist or a fertility clinic to take either medication or do some assisted reproductive techniques to increase your chances of conceiving. Bleeding after intercourse can be caused by may conditions the most common ones being erosion of the cervix, polyps of the cervix, infections around the cervix or vagina, vaginal warts, and a very common cause is a condition called ectopy. All of these can easily be seen and diagnosed by your gynaecologist.

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo