Posted by: Julien | 2010-11-25

Trying to fall pregnant

My husband and I are trying to fall pregnant from May this year but it''s just not happening.
I have been on contraceptives for a few years and don''t know if this is maybe the cause of it.
We also struggle with some health issues. He is Diabetic and we both are Hypertensive.
Is there anything that we can do to increase our chances of falling pregnant?

Dear Julien
Having been on contraception for a few years does not decrease your chances of conception. However the fact that your husband is diabetic this may predispose to this condition affecting the sperm quality, count or motility. By definition, infertility would mean you have an inability to conceive after one year of trying and I would suggest if by April or May next year, you still have not conceived then you need to see either a gynaecologist or a fertility specialist to ascertain if there are any problems present that are contributing to this difficulty, before doing anything to increase your chances of falling pregnant.

Answered by Dr Dasoo