Question
Posted by: Jessica | 2011/05/20

Trying to eat right

Hi doc, I have quite a long day (get up at 06:00 and get home sometime past 18:30) so I am not really exercising (I walk around the office a bit and walk up and down 3 flights of stairs to get to the office/ to the car). I am not really eating well either (drinking a lot of tea, eating at irregular times, a lot of snacks in the evenings). Now either my scale has been wrong all along or I''ve weighed more that I thought all along. I would like to start eating healthier but not sure where to start. I love Wheetbix, eat two bricks every morning (I first use water then add a bit of milk with one tablespoon of sugar). I eat a small tub of yoghurt sometime in the morning and lunch is usually a sandwhich with chicken/ tuna and mayo. Supper is quick, minute steaks on rolls or a toasted sandwhich or fish and chips, burgers, etc (barely ever take aways, and I do use a bit of oil). I don''t have a blender to make my own smoothies but if I stop at a shop and get one in the morning and keep it in the fridge for lunch (and maybe eat a pie or something if I am really hungry), eat my yoghurt, drink a few cups of green tea and have my quick supper, is that OK? I feel I shouldn''t eat a lot because I don''t exercise a lot.

Dear Jessica
You do indeed have a long day which does make exercising difficult, but not impossible. I think you need to firstly have a look at the slimming diets on this website, because you need to reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), rather than to eat fatty pies, toasted sandwiches or burgers. Then make a list of the foods you need to have available so that you can make your own lunch box meals (your breakfast is fine, but increase the amount of low-fat milk or yoghurt you have with the Weetbix. The smoothie is fine, but you should not keep in for long periods because many of the nutrients may deteriorate even if you keep it in the fridge). Also choose less fatty supper ingredients and try to include some fresh or frozen vegetables. Now it is not necessary to go to a gym for exercise. One of the simplest ways of ensuring that you do some cardio exercise every day, is to buy a skipping rope and skip for up to 30 min a day (for example when you get home at night and over weekends). Start slowly for a short period like 10 min and as you get fitter you can skip for longer and more intensely.

1

Dear Jessica