Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2010/12/15

Trying to conceive

My husband and I are trying to get pregnant for 6 months now, with no luck! Is it true that KY jelly can harm sperm? and after how long after sex can I take a bath? Is there any herbal medicine/vitamins I can take to help make it quicker?

You should be taking folate. Six months is still a short time to be trying to conceive. KY jelly can be harmful to sperm but practically is only an issue if you have a problem. Try timing intercourse around ovulation.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2010/12/17

For a normal, healthy couple, it can take up to a year of trying before you fall pregnant, so at six months, you are still well within the norm.

Make sure you are both fit and healthy, take your pregnancy vitamins and folic acid while you are trying.

No, KY jelly will not harm sperm, it is not a spermicide, it is just a lubricant.

You can bath straight after sex, the sperm shoots up really high and it is quite normal for semen to run out of you afterwards. I always bath straight after sex and I have no trouble getting pregnant.

No, there are no herbal medicines that you can take to make it quicker.

What you can do that is helpful is keep a record of when you have your periods so that you can work out around about when you are ovulating, and make sure you have lots of sex over that time (from about day 12 to 16 of your cycle), as this is the time that pregnancy is most likely to occur.
Have sex really often, but don''t make it a chore, if it''s not fun, neither of you will be motivated to do it.

If after a year you are not pregnant, then go and see your gynae and they will check to see that you are ovulating.

Reply to Purple