Question
Posted by: jskr | 2010/06/18

Trying to conceive

I recently visited my GP for my annual pap smear. I mentioned to her that I have been trying to conceive for over a year already, to no avail. She sent me for blood test to test my hormone levels as well as rubella and simply called to tell me everything was normal. She seemed very uninterested in my plight, and gave no advice on other possibilities, options, or steps to take.

I am 31 years old, and my partner already has 3 children (so no problems with fertility on his side).

I have been timing my ovulation (very regular mentrual cycle), as well as using the " maybe baby"  ovulation tester. Furthermore, I stopped smoking 6 months ago, I''m taking folic acid, omegas, calcium, zinc and vitamin c supplements, drinking hormone regulation herbal teas etc etc.

What next? Any advice please.

You should see a gynaecologist for further tests. If the tests show that you are ovulating, your tubes should be checked. ALso things may have changed for your partner though he has had children in the past.

4

Posted by: K | 2010/06/19

Hi. Yes. You should go to a fertility specialist. If you are in Durban I can highly recommend Dr Hansen at St. Augustines. Yes, Sperm changes happen very quickly, so I think he should have an analysis done, but the fertility specialist will tell you exactly what to do.

Reply to K
Posted by: Dee | 2010/06/18

I would find another gynae who is willing to help. Maybe your tubes are blocked? A mans sperm count can change almost daily so I would get a semen analysis done too.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: jskr | 2010/06/18

Apologies, forgot to mention I excercise regularly and have a normal bmi.

Reply to jskr