Posted by: Liz | 2010-01-31

trying to conceive

I' ve suffered an ectopic (a year ago and lost right tube) after a year of trying assisted by 4 months of clomid and no luck I underwent a dye and laparoscopic procedure to determine the problem last month. I have endometriosos which was all lasered off and given the go ahead to start trying again.

Are there any ways to optimise my chances seeing as though I only have one connected fallopian tube? Will I only have a chance every second month due to one tube or will the clomid I' m now on stimulated both ovaries?

Lastly, I' m due to travel to USA for 2 weeks during Easter time (end March- 1st wk of April) will this be dangerous if I' m 1-2 months pregnant? My gynae says no. Is this true?

Many thanks!

Dear Liz

The problem with ectopic pregnancies is that the damage to the tube maybe internal and not easily visualised from the outside at the time of laparoscopy. It is particularly the problem with endometriosis, which may still be present within the tubal cavity or lumen and would have not been lasered from the external surface. This causes a continued risk for a second ectopic pregnancy which maybe as high as 40%. Although the logic behind using Clomid is that ovulation or stimulation would occur in both ovaries, there is no guarantee that this will always be the case. However despite this it is probably the most logical approach at this stage apart from in-vitro fertilization. In the event of being pregnancy I would certainly advise against travelling unless it is firmly established that the pregnancy is inside the uterus and not in an ectopic position.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim