Posted by: Dea | 2009-03-11

Trying to conceive

Dear doc.

Me and my husband have been trying to conceive for more than a year now. I have been diagnosed with PCOS, but my tubes and my uterus are 100% fine. They' re not blocked or anything. My husband had a spermiogram done at the local clinic, and everything was normal (actually higher than average), except his sperm count was a bit lower than average. Our doctor is of the opinion that it should not be a problem. I am currently using Fertomid at the moment as I don' t ovulate. I started it cycle day 5 (50 mg for 5 days). As I never knew or don' t know when to expect ovulation to take place, is it recommendable to buy ovulation predictor kits? Or should I use the BBT charting method? DO you have ANY advice for me or us as a couple to make conception easier, and get our timing right?

Dear Dea

The approach to your problem is perfectly correct and I would suggest that you use the ovulation urine detection kits, as these are a lot more accurate than the BBTs. However occasionally the predictor kits may not be sensitive enough and it may be necessary to move on to ultrasound follicle tracking and ovulation stimulation.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

I have been trying to conceive from 2007, I also tried using Contraception tables to become fertile , as it would be recommended that f you stop them , you most likely to get pregnant.I have a 6 year old son at the moment.After giving birth to him I was on nu-istrate , and stopped it in July 2007, but still no luck.I visited my doctor and prescibed Fertomid for me as it is my 2nd day using it .The doctor checked everything and my husband and myslf do not have a problem ,but I have been trying for almost 2 years now. Do you have any advise on what you would recommend I do .Thanks

Posted by: Bonny | 2009-03-22

I have tried the ovulation urine detection tests as the Fertility Expert has suggested. They seem to be fairly accurate (I tried the one from Dis-Chem and have just bought the one from Clicks). When I used the Dis-Chem one, it indicated positive which meant that I should have ovulated 1-2 days later.
They do come with quite easy-to-use directions.

Good luck!

Reply to Bonny