Question
Posted by: Meraai | 2009-02-03

Trying to conceive

Hubby and I are trying for our first baby. I went on the pill in July and stopped in October (got married in September). Seeing that a lot of our friends are expecting or had their babies this year, we would like ours to be born in the same year.

Problem is, we don' t know alot about getting pregnant. I am relying on friends advice and don' t always know how far to follow! I' ve heard about lying on my back with my legs in the air after intercourse, but so far this was not enough! Is there any way that we could increase our chances for conceiving without going for any treatments.

I' ve also read that one should not use lubricant (KY Jelly) while trying to conceive as this could damage hubbies sperm. Any truth in that? If so, what can we use instead?

Any tips or advice will be welcome as we only have 2 months to try to have the baby this year if we are not successfulle this time round!

Dear Meraai

Lying on your back with your legs in the air has never been proven to increase ones chances of falling pregnant. There is an association between the use of K-Y jelly and possible damage to the sperm or decrease in motility of the sperm that requires to travel up to the fallopian tubes. Natural lubrication is the best or try and avoid lubrication at all cost if it is possible. The best time to conceive is usually mid-cycle and if your wife has a regular 28 days cycle then her most fertile time is between day 12 and dsay18 of her menstrual cycle.

Answered by: Dr Y. M. Dasoo

3

Going on the birth control pill will generally keep women who have had very irregular periods in the past more regulated than they would have been otherwise. That said, it is very possible for women who have been on the birth control pill for years to experience irregularity in their menstrual cycle after they stop it. Your periods may not arrive on time, or they make come earlier than usual. In addition, they may be lighter or heavier than what you were experiencing on the pill. After four to six months, your body should begin to adapt to the changes and you should begin to see normal periods again. See here: http://thegettingpregnantplan.com/

Posted by: Angel | 2009-02-04

Hi Meraai

I was reading your post and wanted to add my little two cents piece regarding determining ovulation without ovulation prediction kits (OPK' s).

I would suggest that you google BBT charting. It is natural family planning (NFP) where you observe (i) your basal body temperature (BBT) using a BBT thermometer, (ii) changes in your cervical mucus (iii) as well as changes to your cervix to determine when you ovulate. You will have to chart for a full cycle before you can get an idea as to when you are ovulating as BBT charting only helps in hindsight (i.e. it confirms ovulation and does not predict) BUT once you have charted for a couple of cycles you can have an idea as to when you ovulate and time it accordingly. I would suggest that you go onto fertilityfriend. It' s a very useful site for trying to conceive and the support helps.

Another method you could use is to have regular intercourse throughout your cycle, two to three times a week, in that way you will be covering your bases and will not miss any window of opportunity.

GOOD LUCK! I wish you all the best.

Reply to Angel
Posted by: Meraai | 2009-02-03

I would just like to add that I only recently started to give attention to my cycle duration. From December to January my cycle was 34 days. I know that my cycle tends to be irregular so it is difficult to determine when I ovulate and do not have access to ovulation testers as we live in a small town without a pharmacy! Is there any other way I can determine when I will be ovulating?

Reply to Meraai