Posted by: Tubz | 2008-11-02

Trying to conceive

Hi. I wud like to know when am i ovulating if i have a 24day cycle. TTC for 3mnths. Off da pill for 18mnths. Cud there b sumting rong?

Dear Tubz

A cycle length of 24 days can be just considered normal and ovulation therefore will be occurring on day 10. I am presuming that you are counting your cycle from the first day of bleeding as day 1. To confirm this you may need to use the ovulation urine testing kits from day 6 or 7 of your cycle onwards in order to detect a positive early enough. Alternately you could do a blood progesterone level on day 17 or 18 of your cycle and this will give you an indirect although not specific confirmation of ovulation. The best method is to do ultrasound follicle tracking from about day 8 or 9 of your cycle but obviously this will require regular visits to your gynaecologist.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim