Question
Posted by: ama | 2011/05/05

Trying to be a healthy mother to-be

i have a challenge of smelling food in a bad way as well some stuff i used to enjoy and now i can''t stand them ..anything i can do? i enjoy yoghurt, all-bran flakes,cucumber, lettuce, raw tomatoes, brown bread, cheddar chees, avos, mashed potatoes and butternut and all the other stuff i can''t stand ..my worry now is i''m not eating a variety of healthy food due to me shard or skew sense of smell
Please advise what i should take

Dear Ama
Congratulations on your pregnancy. It is a fact that the hormonal changes associated with pregnancy can change certain perceptions such as smell and taste. I your case the changes seem to have affected your sense of smell which is putting you off a whole range of essential foods that you need to ensure that you and your baby remain healthy throughout the pregnancy. Some women find that if they eat foods cold, they have less of a reaction to the smell of the specific food, so before winter really sets in, you could try having fruit, raw vegies, yoghurt, cold boiled eggs, etc. However, if this problem persists and endangers your food intake, then I would recommend that you firstly have a medical checkup and secondly consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
The dietitian will be able to assess your food intake to see if you are ingesting an adequate and balanced diet (e.g. if you are developing anaemia due to avoiding meat, and fish), and help you with an individual diet plan.
Wishing you all the best with your pregnancy

1

Dear Ama