Posted by: LdK | 2009-09-21

Trying so hard to lose weight

I am a 33yr old women who has had 2 children (aged 6 and 4) and have been on many diets over the years. 3 weeks ago, a friend of mine gave me a weightwatchers eating plan to try and abide by. The first week I lost 1kg, but over the next week I picked up a kilo. I can feel that I am losing centimeters but according to the scale I have not lost. When I weigh myself in the evenings after bath time, I have nothing more to eat or drink, Isomehow I more in the morning after. How is this possible that my weight can fluctuate over night. It seems whenever I weigh myself at whatever time, the weight is never the same - always out by a , something - weird hey?

Dear LdK
It is vital that you do NOT weigh yourself all the time - this is enough to discourage any slimmer because body weight varies during the day (due to so-called circadian rhythms) and from day to day (influenced by fluctuating hormone and water levels). Weigh yourself once a week at the same time (for example on a Monday morning after going to the toilet) and wearing the same clothes. It is also not a good idea to try and apply a diet like the Weight Watchers regimen which was prescribed for someone else to your situation. Rather join them yourself and then stick to the plan you will be given. The fact that an organisation like Weight Watchers has weekly meetings to provide moral support to their members should help you if you find that your adherence to diets is not good.