Question
Posted by: Neli G | 2009-09-21

Trying for 3 years

I am 34 years old. I had ectopic 9 years ago and my right hand tube cut. Thereafter had 4 laporoscopies due to endometriosis and tried in those 4 years without success even with chlomid. Later we were blessed with a daughter (now 5 years) without any intervention. Its been 3 years after our daughter that we are trying and again its a challenge with my period pains at their worst and periods irregular. For the first time, I have made an appointment to see a Fertility expert instead of a gynae as time is of the essence. What can I expect from the Fertility Expert' s 1st consultation. In case my left tube is still perfect, what are the chances of falling pregnant with my history of endometriosis? What services can I get from him that the gynae cannot offer?

Dear Neli G

It is extremely difficult to predict what your fertility expert will advised at this stage. This is due to he fact that a lot will depend on his clinical findings and examination. However in general terms is would be necessary to establish the patency of your remaining tube and also to ascertain the severity of the endometriosis and it’s impact on your fertility. I would expect him to recommend a further laparoscopy in this regard and this will then be followed with either a decision to pursue an insemination protocol or alternately an in-vitro process depending on the status of the pelvis.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim