Question
Posted by: CJK | 2011-10-12

Trying again

Dear Doc

I had a misscarriage at the end of July. One medical professional said that I could start trying immediately after my first period, but another has advised that I wait for three months. There was no specific reason for the miscarriage. Since then, I have had a very irregular period.

I am in the process of looking for a new gynae so what would your advice be?

As the three months are almost over, the waiting period doesn't really matter. The idea of waiting for 3 months before trying again comes from studies which have shown that women who fall pregnant within 3 months of a miscarriage have a slightly increased chance of another miscarriage than tose who wait a longer time. In terms of the irregular periods, it can take a couple of months after a miscarriage for your cycle to stabilise, so I would not be in a hurry to use medication for this.

3
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-10-17

Posted by: Anon | 2011-10-14

Wait at least three months. I waited for over 6 months and I am now 4 months pregnant and all is goin very well. I had never got this far in a pregnancy and my babies had never developed into actual babies. what i did immediately after the last mc- started drinking 2l water daily, increased fruit and veg intake, continued with folic acid and prenatals, completely cut out all caffiene, chocolate, fizzy drinks, started walking in the afternoons, had my paps smear done. before trying again went to the dr for tests to ensure that there was no infection in my body. then we went ahead.

Posted by: Sam''s mom | 2011-10-12

Hi CJK

My two cents advice maybe i can tll you is to switch over to the Pregnancy Chatline, there are pretty good ladies that can also give you good advice.

Good Luck

Reply to Sam''s mom