Posted by: Bongiwe | 2009-03-02

try to get pregnant,with fibroids

Can fibrods prevent me from getting pregnant . i have been to the gynae and he said the fibroids are not too big for me to try to get pregnant .But nothing has happenned in months .

Dear Bongiwe

Small fibroids, which are not directly affecting the lining of the womb unlikely to present a problem with conception. I would certainly suggest a full and thorough investigation of other factors including sperm analysis, which may explain the fertility problem. However should no reasonable cause be established then it may be worth while to try to shrink the fibroid down by means of injections before attempting ovulation induction and perhaps intrauterine insemination. The reason for this is that multiple fibroids may indirectly alter the blood flow to the lining and hence interfere with implantation.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim