Question
Posted by: Traumatised | 2010-05-25

Trust relationship

I was very traumatised by a trust relationship that went very wrong. I was very much in love with him but he took advantage of me and things ended very suddenly. I am receiving therapy for it but whenever someone tells me that they saw him or bumped into him it almost feels like the trauma sets in all over again. I get this sick feeling in my stomach, start doubting myself all over again and become very tearful. This happened 5 months ago - how long does it take for the effects of the trauma to wear off?

I'm not sure if this is what we realyl men buy "traumatised" though the word has become fashionable - but obviously this was very upsetting for you. This was not trauma ( unless he raped you orwas seriously physically violent to you, neither of which do you mention ) , and to keep calling it that, and treating it as trauma rather than a disappointment. And I don't understant what sort of "therapy" you could be in without having discussed all these aspects, including your question, with your therapist. If this question hasn't yet been answered by your therapist, they're not doing their job very well - I can't answer it because it depends on many details of what happened, how you have reacted and what sort of therapy ypou are receiving

1