Question
Posted by: Caring Aunt | 2010/08/12

troubled teenager

I am concerned about my niece''''s behaviour.She deos not attend school and she is into boys and we also suspect that she is doing drugs.she is 16 and we want to help her before things get out of hand.We cant take her to a therapist as she runs away every timne we suggest that,now we have ran out of things to do to help her.Is there may be a boarding school she can go to in CPT or nearby just to get her back on track.She failed Grade 9 and it doesn''''t look like she will write exams end of this year.

Please help!

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

with the type of problems you describe a school will not work if she has a drug addiction, as this would have to be treated first.

If someone refuses drug rehabilitation a court order can be sought that directs them to treatment without their consent if it is felt to be dangerous to their health to not intervene. You would need to consult a Clinical Social Worker who specialises in this field.

I would suggest you contact the Cape Town Drug Counselling Centre on 021 447 8026 for referral advice.

1
Posted by: Teen expert | 2010/08/18

Hi there,

Reply to Teen expert