Question
Posted by: MOE | 2010/10/18

Troubled Teen

My 14 year daughter basically fialed grade 9 so far. We had a very difficult year so far and have tried several things but she now admits she just did not learn as she hated the school. She now wants to change schools but everyschool I phoned so far is full but a Afrikaans school that can maybee take her. Is this a wise choice? She will also have to stay in their boarding house. She says she will work much harder as the Afrikaans school has more of her friends in and has more to offer her. I am just very concerned about the language issue. Please help

Expert ImageTeen expert

It would really depend on her level of ability in Afrikaans, if she is not fully bi-lingual then some extra tuition may be in order.

You should also consider having an assessment with an Educational Psychologist to ensure there are no identifiable learning problems which may be impeding her educational progress.

A move to a boarding house can also be a major adjustment. i have known young people to love this experience, and also to hate it. So the pros and cons of such a decision need to be thought through carefully.

2
Posted by: MOE | 2010/10/19

Thanx for the advise. She is not fully bi-lingual but myself and her stepfather is Afrikaans and she has a lot of Afrikaans friends. Like I said we had a full Psycological assessment done early the year and this just showed some issues with authority. We are all working on this daily and there are good ones and bad ones. The biggest problem is she is the kind of child that just blames everyone else for her mistakes and has a problem with taking responsibility for her actions " when caught out"  I can work through all this with her but can not stand the fact she is doing bad in school as she is a clever clever child but just extremely lazy!!!!!!!!!Me on the other hand have a degree of OCD where she is artistc deurmekaar etc. But they tell me things does get better so I am praying and hoping she will just get through school.

Reply to MOE
Posted by: Teen expert | 2010/10/18

Reply to Teen expert