Question
Posted by: DWTGU | 2011/06/03

Trouble studying

Im a 30 yr old woman who is " studying"  part time and working full-time. Lately, i find my academic books boring and i fail to read my study material would rather weatch tv instead. This semester i had registered for 5 subjects, but come exam time i only wrote one.
I dont have stress or anythin hindering my concentration, i just find studying such a bore. I feel like im letting my family down bcos they had such high hopes for me.

What could be the cause of this?

Any tips as to what i can do to force myself to study would be much appreciated.

Sadly, many academic books ARE boring, and to expect them to be fascinating is unrealistic. Also, however great the book, when you HAVE to read it, it promptly becomes more boring. When I was at university, I found a curious effect of this. When I was studying arts subject, I found even really dry science books on genetics, etc, interesting and recreational. As soon as I began studies in science and HAD to read such books, they became awfully boring, and I'd find deep arts books refreshing.
I suspect the first stage in finding a solution would be for you to accept that much of what one reads in one's studies IS and will be, boring. If you expect other3ise, then every page is a disappointment and a burden. Accept it may be boring so what ? - and that you need to plough through it. and that you want to pay close attention so you won't have to read it to often, and get on with it.
Also, read it with an examiner in mind, spotting potential questions and answers hiding among the material, and enjoy that hunt
Much of what you are offered on TV is boring, too ( long series on DSTV on trawlermen, guys who chop down trees, and folks who drive on icy roads ? ) but you assume it's supposed to be entertained, and find it entertaining - though utterly useless.
And plan your studies in chunks, not too litle or it's a waste of time, or so much at a sitting that it's overwhelming. And instead of saying "I'll just watch the entire Godfather Trilogy of movies and THEN start studying, use the TV you really like as a reward. "WHEN I have finished these two chapters, then I get to watch a movie and have a hot cup of tea ( or whatever). "

2
Posted by: Emma | 2011/06/03

Wow!I''m 28 also just started studying because well my family could not afford to pay for my studies after school.
So maybe for me right now I know I have to study and pass as I do not have the money to waste!
If I was as privileged as you are I would probably find my books boring too and not write the exams because of lack of studying BUT I am not.
I work very hard to pay my study and cannot afford to mess up therefore even though my studies are boring I force myself, I stay up until late or I wake up earlier to get some study time in.
It is difficult for me too and it took a whole month for me to figure out when I am at my best to study and that is in the morning. So I wake up 2hours earlier to get some work done before the family wakes up. In turn I sleep earlier at night to make up. You also need to see your goal ahead since waste of money does not seem to bother you.
Also maybe take less modules so you have much less on your plate.
Once you can handle that then you can think of taking more.

Reply to Emma