Question
Posted by: Anon | 2011-05-16

Trouble Sleeping

For the past week now I''ve had trouble sleeping. In the beginning it was due to my 4year daughter waking me up 4 times a night - it ruined my sleeping pattern completely. She is still waking up at least once a night.

But since then - I can''t seem to get back into my normal sleep routine. I used to be able to sleep so soundly and at the drop of a hat I could fall asleep.

For about a month now, I think I''ve been suffering from depression. All my thoughts lead up to death, and how scared I am of dying and leaving this world and giving up my whole life and leaving my daughter behind. She is everything to me! I can''t shake these thoughts I get scared driving in a car thinking we might have an accident or something awful is going to happen. I don''t know what to do?

I''ve had trouble with my marriage for a couple of months now, and well I thought we''ve sorted out our problems but last night I asked him a simple question out of the blue, that if roles where reversed, would he have stood by me the way I stood behind him when we went through a whole lot of problems, and his response was, " NO"  - I''ve been through so much with this man and love him so much I''ve fought for him for many years and it hurt me so much to hear that!!!

Anything which disturbs your usual sleep rhythms cam cause a temporary disruption. But nothing disturbs your sleep so effectively as worrying about your sleep, and expecting problems. Then it may well be, from your description, that a depression is growing, and depression typically causes sleep problems. ( and those thoughts of dread and disaster fit well with depression ). Different types of sleep disturbance can accompany depression, but early morning wakening, filled with dread, is perhaps the most typical.
And the marital problems won't be helping. Though perhaps his response to you was unusually honest and modest, rather than something needing to worry about - perhaps he was admitting that he is not as strong and devoted as you have been ?
Anyhow, ideally you should arrange to see a psychiatrist for a proper assessment and a discussion of treatment options ; at least see a good local GP for assessment and advice. Depression is a very treatable condition, both by medications and by CBT style counselling, and tends to respond better if one starts early rather than suffering needlessly long before getting the help you deserve

1