Posted by: Lee-Ann | 2011-05-04

Trouble sleeping

Hi Doc, I work shifts. When i work day shift, i usually toss and turn in my bed the whole night, and i have to get up at 5am to start work at 6am.

Please help.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Shift work is, indeed, a major problem. Employers should be assisting employees on how to cope with shift work, but, unfortunately, they dont. It is estimated that about 30% of shift workers will leave their jobs on account of health problems within 3 years of going on shift!

There is not a simple answer - account needs to be taken of the pattern of your shift, the hours you work, how you deal with your days off, timing of any medications you may be on, and so forth.

You will certainly need help from a sleep professional for this, and it may be a good idea if you employer can understand the issues, so that other people can be helped at the same time.