Posted by: meme | 2009-01-09

trouble losing weight

I have tried everything under the sun, diet remedies, exercise, etc and still minimal result. I am 23 years old and weigh 98 kilo' s! I did see a dietitian last year for 6 months and lost 11 kg' s. It was hard - small meals, limited calories etc. I unfortunately am not in a financial position to go that long route again but do want to go see a Doctor and have blood works done or relavant tests to see if anything is the reason why I can' t lose weight. my question to you is, is there anything specific I can ask to have done that will help me determine what I need to do to lose weight? I know the Doc' s will know but I don' t want to walk in the blind sighted if you know what I mean.
I know I must have my thyroid checked, blood sugar levels and cholesterol.
i am so motivated to lose weight that i have started walking day by day and am gonna get to cardio as soon as my limbs allow. It hurts a lot at this weight and depression makes it works and really makes me lose focus. Feels so hard to stay focused.

Dear Meme
Wishing you all the best for 2009. When you see the doctor discuss your inability to lose weight with him/her and ask for tests to determine if you suffer from hormone imbalances (thyroid, blood sugar and insulin levels (in case you suffer from insulin resistance IR) and female hormones (in case you have polycystic ovarian syndrome PCOS). Depending on what the blood tests show, the dr will prescribe the necessary treatment (for example thyroid replacement therapy or Glucophage if you have IR). If you do suffer from IR or PCOS then it is essential to consult a clinical dietitian again, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) as soon as possible.