Question
Posted by: Callyboo | 2009-07-03

trouble falling asleep, too many dreams

Hi.
I have crohns disease and this means that I have to get up to go to the loo very frequently at night ( at least once per hour, sometimes more), so my sleep is very interrupted. I have trouble falling asleep initially, and have been taking stilnox (but still get up frequently - like I' m on autopilot) I don' t want to become dependent on it, so I want to find other alternatives. Also, when I fall asleep, I have dreams which are becoming more and more disturbing. My dreams are very vivid and realistic, and are often a continuation of the things I worry about when I' m awake. I' m worried that I' m just not getting anough proper sleep. I' m always tired. Do you have any suggestions?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

I would not be too concerned about the use of Stilnox - that is really the least of your problems. The disturbing dreams are reflecting your anxieties during the day. If you can get help, perhaps from a psychologist, to get a handle on the things that are disturbing you, I would expect the content of the dreams to improve.