Posted by: Mel | 2009-04-17

I am 34 years old and have been on Triphasil since I was 17 years old, so I' ve been taking it for 17 years. Lately I have heard so many horror stories about synthetic hormones and I am wondering if I should switch to a lower dose contraceptive pill, or if it is safe to continue using Triphasil. A few years ago I did try and switch to a lower dose pill but I experienced terrible pains in my pelvis and so I went back onto Triphasil.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Mel

For most healthy, nonsmoking women, prolonged use of OCs does not appear to have adverse effects, and as a result, are an effective birth control method for them, and safe to use throughout their reproductive lives. I suggest discussing the option of switching to a lower dose product with your doctor.