Posted by: Anon | 2009-09-07

Triglycerids and sugar

Hi, Doc

Can you maybe tell me how does sugar and refined carbs increase your triglyceride levels?

Dear Anon
Sugar and other refined carbs are metabolised into a fat called triglycerides in the body is you have a certain tendency to do so. Your metabolism makes use of a pathway to convert the carbs into fats. Thus for patients with increased triglyceride levels, it is advisable to not only reduce your fat intake but to also cut out refined carbs and to rather use high-fibre or unrefined or low-glycaemic index carbs. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assit you with this type of diet as it is more complex to apply than a plain low-fat diet.