Question
Posted by: JOHAN ENGELBRECHT | 2010-08-30

trigeminal neuralgia

I want to know if there is physio treatment I can recomment to my physiotherapist I have been diaganosed with trigeminal neuralgia and have severe pain and swelling on the right hand side of my face and down into my shoulder. I am taking Tegratol 200CR twice a day, morning and night. Please let me know if there is other treatment or a medical practioner in the Centurion Pretoria area with knowledege of this condition.
THANK YOU

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Johan,

From the description that you have given, I doubt very much if you have been correctly diagnosed. There is no swelling in trigeminal neuralgia, and the pain does not spread to the shoulder. First the diagnosis has to be confirmed by someone who specializes in that type of pain. Only then can one recommend treatment. With regard to someone in Centurion with the necessary knowledge, I am sorry but I cannot help. If you would like to discuss it further with me, please call me on 0825555763 after 4pm.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).