Posted by: sylvia | 2009-09-07

It was on and off that I used to pull my hair out since the age of about 13 till about 19, on and off, where i had bald patches and i used to wear a clip to cover the patches, i stopped at age of bout 20. it traumatised me where i didnt wana go out, i wud cry to try stop the addiction of pulling my hair out and feeling that cold sensation of the root on my lips....I got married to a guy in the UK who was abusive both physically and mentally at age of 39, the final straw was when he ripped a whole chunk of my hair out and it bled, im going thru a divorce and am back in south africa but it brought back the past where i tried so hard to stop pulling my hair out and people always used to comment how beautiful my hair was, now its been bout 5 months where the patches he ripped out, there still no signs of growth and im so traumatised and paranoid as to whether my hair is gona grow again... im very sad about it and depressed as my hair makes me look very attractive, now i have to cover those patches from the left side of my hair... ive lost my confidence and self esteem... my hair sort of made me if u know what i mean, i always had stunning hair,

do u think it will grow again after so many years that i never touched my hair or pulled out, im now 42 years old... im so disturbed about it... cause i tried so hard in my childhood days to stop pulling my hair out and being teased by kids at school bout my bald patches...

please help, thanks doc...

What an awful irony that after you had batled and regained control over hair-pulling and enjoyment in your hair, some brute damaged it.
On the issue of caring for your hair in general and attending to the damaged patches, you should see a consultant Dermatologist, the skin specialist, to see what would be best. To the extent that some of the areas might now contain scar tissue, this might hamper hair growth, but if you are no longer at any risk of hair-pulling yourself, there might be a possibility of careful skin grafts / hair transplant patches, to replace these areas in a sort of re-forestation. And a CBT couinsellor could help you regain your self-confidence, too.