Posted by: Tom | 2009-05-09

Tricep workout

I try to include a lot of compound exercises in my workout and ive been told that dips are one of the best compound triceps exercise is this true? Surely you cant build that much muscle doing bodyweight exercises.

Hi Tom

Honestly, I would want to evaluate a dip compared to other exercises with a similar purpose – I’d be guessing if I said that it was more or less effective. What I will say is that I know a lot of really serious sports people favour them – they are a choice of gymnastics coaches for the triceps, right up to international level, so I guess I’m semi-confirming the rumour you may have heard! Whether they have another reason for doing this, is of course possible. But I would say to try and see how it goes and then work out what works best for you. I realise this is neither confirming or denying what you may have heard, but I honestly would be guessing