Posted by: Jen | 2009-05-10

Tretinoin (Retin A) vs Retinol (ROC)

Dear Doc
I am considering the above two products to treat and prevent skin ageing. I am 33 yrs old. , Both products contain forms of Vit A. How do they differ and how are they similar? Which product would you recommend? Thank-you. Best regards.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Jen, thank you for the question.

ROC contains the vitamin esters (break down product) of vitamin A and in sufficient concentrations the effect between the two are negligible. However, when comparing these two specifically the ‘anti-ageing’ effect of Retin A is greater but may produce more side effects such as localized reactions, redness, sun sensitivity, and even a dry peeling skin. If this occurs you should rather consider using NeoStrata’s Renewal Cream that contains Retinol Acetate which will have similar effects to Retin A but with fewer side effects.