Posted by: Claire | 2012-07-25

Trepiline and Coxflam

My husband was prescribed Trepiline(anti depressant) and Coxflam (anti inflam) for the following symptoms: headache on right side with blurry vision on same side, numbness and tingling down right side of the body. He is medicated for his cholesterol levels and takes Ramiwin and Adco Simvastatin. And I just wanted to know if there is any advice on this course of treatment. He symptoms stem from massive amounts of stress.He is very physically active too.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Claire,

Sorry for the delay in answering – I have been away.

The cholesterol medication should not have an effect on the headaches.

The other medications that your husband has been prescribed may help, but the best way to approach the problem is to ascertain where the pain is originating. to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

Posted by: NikkiW | 2012-09-14

I wonder if you could please help. I was prescribed trepiline 10mg to start off with and it has increased to 2 x 25mg tablets, I was just wondering if there are a colour difference between the 10mg and 25 mg as I don''t feel a difference between the 10mg and 25mg and both the different mg''s that the Pharmacist has given me are blue?

Many thanks

Reply to NikkiW