Question
Posted by: Suzie | 2010/07/11

Trepiline

Hi, hoping you can help me. My doctor prescribed Trepiline 10mg one at night for me, for severe insomnia (I didnt want sleeping pills). I know a few people who are also taking this, and they are given it as a mild muscle relaxant and to help them sleep. I first went onto an overseas medical website, which stated that it is excellent for helping people to sleep. Every single person who was prescribed this slept very very well after taking it. Even the friends I have here in SA say you will sleep so well. My doctor said it would help me sleep. But this pill has no effect on me at all, I dont get tired and I certainly dont sleep. Going through various websites again, I must be the only person in the world who has not been put to sleep by this medication. This is so frustrating, could you please tell me what you know about it and why I''m not sleeping with it? Thank you.

Trepiline ( chemially, Amitriptyline ) is a rather old anti-depressant ( when used in higher doses ), and effective in many people, though it's side-effects include drowsiness which many find annoying - but of course drowsiness is what you may want when sleepless ! I'm not sure that it is effective as a muscle-relaxant, except in the secondary sense that if you are sedated and sleepy, your muscles are likely to relax.
Now, as I so often say, we difer widely in how we metabolize and otherwise handle drugs, and while some may find the side-effects of Trepiline intolerable, others just right ( gosh, this is sounding like the 3 bears !) some have no problem with the side-effects at all - and you may be one of those, so in this case, not sedated enough for it to help you to sleep.
Now, if you allow yourself to worry about it, that'll of course help to ensure you stay awake. So Trep[iline doesn't suit you for this purpose.
There couold be other alternatives, and some of the more modern sleeping pills like Zolpidem, have less risk of dependence than the older forms ( especially if not taken every night for months ), and wear off during the night so as to avoid a morning hangover.

30
Posted by: Nella | 2016/08/02

Can a over dose of 84 trepilinen of 25 mg I drink all my tablets and only was in a coma twice for 2 weeks in a coma in ICU can over dosis treipilene kill you I am a living miracle

Reply to Nella
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/03/19

Dr prescribed it for my reflux! Did all the tests, gastroscopy, barium swallow xrays etc dr cant find any cause, then put me on trepiline? Why would he do ghat ? Didnt know what it was until i took it for about a week and woke up every morning with a hangover...that i google it

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Gerrut | 2016/04/18

Hi like yourself I have acid reflux and the doctors can't find anything wrong. The reflux meds also are not working for me. I actually asked my doctor to prescribe anxiety medication for me, because I think my reflux could be caused by anxiety. The doctor also gave Trepiline, which I haven't used yet.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/10/25

The dr prescribed Trepiline and coxflam for my son for back pain..is Trepiline not an antidepressant?

Posted by: jim | 2015/08/30

I am a male 80 years and have been suffering with shingles[ right side of face] for the last 15 weeks, prescribed degranol 200mg 3 times a day + 2 tripolene of a evening..I am still getting severe occasional pain i eyebrow and very sensitve rside scalp . Also r eye feels like there is something there have had eyes checked no problem other than normal would appreciate any feed back.I am very fit otherwise thanks

Reply to jim
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/07/26

I am a 64 yr old recovering alcoholic. Been sober three years. Been taking zolpidem for about 7 yrs. Now weaning off. My Dr prescribed 10mg per night as I was tapering down. I'm now down to a quarter zolpidem per night and by next week hopefully off zolpidem but my Dr says to stay on trepiline. I want to get off all drug type medication except my cilift. Isn't trepiline just another drug? Please help thankyou

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/04/29

I was recently admitted into hospital about 2 weeks ago with chest pains and after many tests, scans & ecg's my heart was cleared. I was then diagnosed with a deficiency in vit E and given a series of medication which includes trepiline, eppilum & calciferol. My question is, why would I be given eppilum & trepiline to begin with? Aren't these kinds of medication prescribed to epileptic and people suffering from depression? Should I be concerned or contact the Dr as to why his prescribed this series of meds for 6 months.

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/25

Trepaline and anti-convulsants are often used for completely different reasons than for epilepsy and depression. Both are used in treatment of headaches, or migraines so possibly he was trying to treat pain if you were experiencing that, other than that I wouldn't know. I'm on trepaline for headaches, but it's aslo used for sleep problems, so maybe it would still be better to contact him just to make sure. they are used for many other things other than epilepsy and depression

Posted by: confucious | 2015/04/19

I am 63, a severely depressed insomniac and a rehabilitated (?) alcoholic, currently on 12.5 mg Aropax CR. Never suffered from hypertension. My headaches started 8 months ago out of nowhere, followed 3 months later with severe neck pains. Woke up daily with the mother of hangovers. Eventually saw a neurologist and went through all examinations, including MR, EEG, neck x-ray and various blood tests. The result was that there is not anything wrong with me. Makes you feel stupid. Was prescribed Trepiline 10 mg for starters and stepped up to 25mg. Started sleeping a little better after approx 3 weeks and a slight improvement with the headaches. However, at 4 o'clock in the mornings my head fills up with the sound of a thousand screaming sun beetles, lasting for about an hour or untill after my second cup of coffee. Next I went for 2 sessions of physio which, after nearly killing me, relieved some severe spasms in my neck and shoulder blades. The neck pain still did not go away. Stopped the trepiline after 3 months abruptly. After a week I began suffering from serious pain in my wrists and elseware which I suppose is the aftermath of giving up on the Trepiline. Today, a week later, the wrist and neck pains are better and the headaches are more tolerable. Looking back, it seems that Trepiline did effect some improvement. Maybe I am one of the luckier ones.

Reply to confucious
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/03/10

Headache and neckpaine was killing me. Then i had a spasm. In my upper neck area. It was bad and had happened before. Doctor told me it is tortocilis...i googled it and I cant believe what I have discovered. I am 30 and feels 60. All beacuse of depression, stress....and it ended up in totocilis. I am just glad I know know. But not sure what to do to have a pain free neck and back?? And how to solve it?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/03/10

Posted by: 22 | 2015/03/10

Tripiline does not work for all but only for some. I have experienced it first hand.I wish there was a miracle for depression en feeling mad. But only you willknow when you use the right medication. If not working you must go back to your doctor.

Reply to 22
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/02/20

Well i have been on zopivane for more than 2 years but recently it did not work anymore an with it at 3 in the morning I Was still trying to sleep. I am diagnosed wit RA among other things like a burnout, etc. My Rheumatologist prescribed me trepiline 10mg to drink wit the zopivane and that was the most wonderful nights i've had in a long time. I could sleep!!!! For those of you who know the frustration of not being able to sleep, will understand. My dr said tripiline is not addictive. Each person differs and i think if you drink it with a light sleeping pil like sopivane it might just be a good combination. Good luck to all your sleepless folk out there, hope u get it resolved soon.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/02/20

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/01/29

I DRINK 3 25MG TREPILINE TABLETS, IT DOESNT WORK FOR ME, I ONLY GET MOST OF THE SIDE-EFFECTS

Posted by: Mark | 2014/11/14

I was prescribed Trepiline after having a high blood pressure reading, is this the correct purpose and can it be effective?

Reply to Mark
Posted by: SPINAL PROBLEM | 2014/11/05

Ive been prescribed to take the 25mg Trepiline. Sleep very well, but since taking my eyes feels irritated. Should this be a cause for concern?

Reply to SPINAL PROBLEM
Posted by: miriam | 2014/10/16

Does trepiline contain nicotine?

Reply to miriam
Posted by: linda | 2014/10/09

Trepiline helps with my night sweet.

Reply to linda
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/08/11

Hi I have bad head aches. I drink 2 adco-dolls + 1 inza at night, go to sleep and stand up the morning with the same headache. I had this head ache last week the whole week. My neck is also very sore. My doctor said it can be stress related and prescribed Trepiline to me, to help solve my head aches and help me sleep better. I just want to know if there is any side effects to this pil, because I have heard that it is addictive. Thanks

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: shirley | 2015/03/29

Hi I take 1 Trepeline everynight, used to suffer with migraines an couldnt sleep. It does absolute Wonders for me. And no side affects.

Posted by: SLEEPLESS | 2014/04/14

I have the same problem. Zolpidem made my insomnia worse because it gave me five hours sleep, which was just too little for me, and then I could not sleep at all after that, or even cat nap at lunch time which I could always do before. It also seems pointless to me to take pills that can only be taken for a short time because as soon as I stop, I have the same problem again anyway. 10mg Trepiline had no effect so now I'm taking double the dose and still wake up several times a night, the only difference is that I stay awake for shorter periods, but it still feels like I hardly ever go into a good deep sleep - just skim the surface. But if you don't get tired, perhaps you don't need as much sleep - I wouldn't mind doing without sleep if I didn't feel like a half-dead zombie the whole day! I would appreciate any suggestions too.

Reply to SLEEPLESS
Posted by: SLEEPLESS | 2014/04/14

Reply to SLEEPLESS
Posted by: Spinal Arthrits | 2014/04/07

I use a nailclipper to pinch just a portion of the one tablet and it relaxes me into a good enough sleep when my brain is overactive during examination times and periods of overworking. I have chronic asthma, with much rib and back pain and recently discovered the reasons for my clumsiness in falling, even with flat shoes. Arthritis in the lumbar region, genetically inherited. Was temporarily paralysed as a child, but no one told me anything. Now at age almost 50 MRI's showed the trauma. Trpiline helps me sleep, but I rather had a pillow cut as the one they use on the MRI machine for the spine. This takes tremendous pressure off the area involved and I am more mobile now. Coxflam and trepiline. That's my prescribed cocktail. But I only use coxflam. Trepiline remains my relaxer when I need it. When I was hospitalised with so much pain it spiked my blood pressure, I was given a trepiline, which left me numb for a whole day, I could not move, eat, or talk properly.This is when I decided a nail clipper pinch is sufficient for me at home. I have been using the same bottle for two years now, while the others become my back-up supply. I hope it don't expire.

Reply to Spinal Arthrits
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/03/30

Trepiline doesn't help me with my insomnia!

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Patricia Wood | 2014/10/30

I have the same problem it puts me on a high.

Posted by: kefilwe morake | 2014/03/19

i love trapeline,it makes me feel good and relaxed.i dont think too much after taking it,i sleep like a baby.it makes me calm.

Reply to kefilwe morake
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/03/02

you are not alone, it is 2:39 am and I was also prescribed trepiline,and is still wide awake

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Patricia Wood | 2014/10/30

I have the same problem. I run around like a wound-up toy after taking it.