Posted by: Tania | 2009-06-04

I' ve just been prescribed Trepilen for severe back ache. I am stressed and are not sleeping very well. I have however fought a very difficult battle in getting OFF anit-depressants. I didn' t realise that Trepilene is an anti-depressant and is now a bit upset about this. It' s not the first time that anti-depressants have been prescribed to me without telling me eaxactly what it is. Basically what I am concerned about is whether this is habit forming and would I also have to go off it gradually. If that be the case, then I' d rather use a straight forward sleeping tablet. I don' t wanna go down the anti-depressant road again!

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Tania

Trepiline is indeed an antidepressant, but is also prescribed for nerve paine - most commonly in back and neck pain. It is not habitforming.

Hi, Trepiline used in low dosages (like less than 60mg) does not have a antidepresssant effect. It does however help relax muscles and improves sleep. It i not habit forming. Dont take it to late though - before 8pm.