Question
Posted by: At | 2008/09/28

Trepilene

Hi I have used many kinds of antidepressants I even tried stopping them cold turkey, for two weeks I was nearly mad and a few days after that in hospital because i was extremely depressed. I have seen 7 different doctors, psychiatrists, psychologist etc.
I was on Remeron, I finally went to my local GP and he prescribed trepilene with lots of exercise. I also drink Dormicum 15mg sleeping pills at night and still sleep badly. The trepilene worked fine for about 3 months and now I am depressed again, I cannot afford the expensive pills I was taking before what must I do?

Stopping cold turkey is very rarely a good idea. With a complex history like yours, I can't advise from a distance. Surely among the 7 shrinks, there have been 1 or 2 you found especially understanding and helpful ? Return to them for a re-assessment, to consider which medication might be most likely to be helpful, as well as starting Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) which is highly effective in Depression if you really work at it, and this approach would also get you actively involved rather than simply taking pills and waiting for results. As Jade implies, sometimes part of the problem is that, for whatever reason, one may have formed unrealistic expectations for how happy life needs to be or can be.

1
Posted by: Jade | 2008/09/28

Hi At
In addition to the pills, are you receiving any psychotherapy? Do you know the root cause of your depression, or know what could have triggered it? My daughter was on trepilene, also had therapy sessions for a while, bad sleeping etc and suffers from fibromyalgia. Also went to numerous specialists until one day, a serious firm but loving approach from me and her dad made her realise that only she can make herself happy, that life goes on and its what you make of it. It was a long battle, mom' s instinct is to baby her child but it was tough love that brought her to where she is today, no pills, minimal pain but no longer crying, almost crippled by her depression as there is a direct link between pain and tension.
Lots of exercise, eating healthy will benefit and give you the feel good hormones, maybe yoga? meditation, thinking positively, reading good books, socialising even when u dont feel up to it, even if you think you cant because you' d rather close yr bedroom door and sleep, just give it a try and then maybe ask your doctor if you need cognitive behavioural therapy, finding the right psychologist, after a psychiatrist has eliminated any mental disorders is crucial and of course, believe in yourself, put your faith in God and trust in Him that you will overcome depression.
Good Luck

Reply to Jade