Question
Posted by: Annelize | 2011/07/24

Trepeline - What are the indications and side effects?

I would like to know about the side effects of Trepeline. A Facebook Friend suggested I use it for Insomnia. (The Symmetrel my neurologist prescribed for severe fatique/exhaustion is not helping because my main problem is that I get probably only 3-4 hours sleep a night, so I want to try Trepeline instead).

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Annelize

Trepiline is used for the treatment of depressive illness, and depression associated with anxiety. It is also used as adjunctive therapy for bed-wetting in children older than 6 years of age. Amitriptyline (the active of Trepiline) is furthermore used with great success in the treatment of chronic pain syndromes (neck and back pain, amongst others) and migraine. It has also been used to treat nerve pain such as that accompanied by shingles.
The drug has significant sedative effects and may be useful in the treatment of insomnia.

Side-effects may include Confusion, Dry mouth, Headache, Nausea/ vomiting, Weight gain/ increased appetite, Heartburn, Constipation, Difficulty urinating, Hallucinations,
Fatigue, Blurred vision, Impaired concentration, Dilated pupils/ eye pain, Difficulty breathing, Seizures and palpitations.

2
Posted by: Friend | 2011/07/25

I was prescribed Trepiline by a maxo-facial specialist for suspected nerve pain as I had constant TMJ pain which the dentist could find no reason for. That is a feeling of severe pain in all your teeth (in my case upper and lower teeth) - major sensitivity in all my teeth and awful jaw pain.
I have also been an insomniac my whole life.
I was prescribed 10mg''s of Trepiline which by about the 5th week of use did start to help with the nerve pain in my jaw but then I had also tried many other, alternative therapies suggested to me for my TMJ pain.
I can say though that the dry/sawdust mouth was *horrible* and never went away until I was at least 2 weeks off the Trepiline. Yes, I slept *slightly* better, even when the dose was increased to 20 mg''s but for me - the side effects of Trepiline was awful! Huge weight gain. Heavy legs as if my feet had been poured into concrete... I can name at least 11 symptoms.
For me as a chronic insomniac? What has helped me the *most* is the across the counter anti-histamine/sleeping aid called SOMNIL. Start out by breaking the tablet into quarters at first as it knocks you out so strongly you will feel hung over all of the next day. Then gradually up the dose until you find you get the right amount of sleep.
I have taken SOMNIL for close on 3 years and find it better than any sleeping pill ever prescribed for me. I have managed over time to cut my dose to only a ''crumb'' per night.
BE CAREFUL! This across the counter medicine can also become addictive so as soon as you start to sleep the necessary hours you need - try to gradually start to cut down.
Best of luck - hope you get some zzzzzz''s finally.

Reply to Friend
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/07/25

Hi Annelize

Reply to pharmacist