Posted by: Cathy | 2009-04-17

Tredmill workout to lose weight

I have a treadmill which I use every single day.I wish to lose some weight and want to know how long and at what speed must I jog or walk.I have googled,but all the sites beats about the bush and does not give me the info that I need.The manual of my treadmill does not give me the detail either.I really need an expert to give me advice.I do follow the weigh less eating plan but need to lose just over 9kgs.

HI Cathy

Impossible to say, because people are different. What I suggest to you might be far too fast, or far too slow. I knew a guy once who could do from the couch onto the treadmill and run 30 minutes at speeds of 12km/hour. Other people can't do 10 minutes at 8km/hour, that's how different we are. And that's probably why sites beat around the bush.

My advice is that you should experiment with the speed, until you find the speed that you can sustain for say 15 minutes. That's a good baseline to begin with. I'd guess it will be about 9 to 10km/hour. 15 minutes of exercise, feeling tired but not absolutely exhausted.

Once you know that, then you can start to play around. You can decrease this speed by 1 to 2 km/hour, and aim for 20 minutes, even 25. Or you can increase the speed to say 11km/hour, and then run for 5 minutes, walk for 3 minutes, and repeat this 4 times.

To put it together, I'd suggest aiming for a training session every second day (which gives you three or maybe four days per week), for the next two weeks. Once you've gone past this point, then you can train two days out of every three. THe rest is important to help recovery.

I'd say go for 20 minutes a day, on average, building up to 30 minutes after a month. Perhaps one day a week should be a sustained run at your previously worked out speed, the second day should be a longer, but slightly slower run, and the third a run where you go a little faster, for short periods, but with a walk in between, as mentioned above.

That should be a starting point for you.